The hedonist's guide to winter - Part 1: Cupcakes
Some say that cupcakes are the new donut (which is true at least in terms of how unhealthy both are!) but I prefer to think of them as the "muffin with sex appeal". Any way you look at it there's no denying cupcakes have gathered momentum and invaded London against all calorie counting odds. I blame their cuteness.
And while we wait for Sprinkles, the LA based designer cupcakery who pride themselves on baking the ultimate cupcake, to open in London as recently announced (see below article), we can find a mini cure for winter blues (any excuse!) at the following places:
Ottolenghi
Although they are not exclusively a cupcakery (far from it) I do think they bake it best. Ottolenghi cupcakes have a perfect texture frosting, are not too sweet or sickening and some times are even healthier* than the competition. My favorites are "maple syrup and oats*" and "raspberry vanilla".
Best for: yum factor
Hummingbird Bakery
Definitely the prettiest cupcakes in town. Though I do find their cakes overly sweet and usually end up scooping half the frosting out, I give them top marks for design and atmosphere.
Best for: meeting friends for a cuppa & cupcake
Buttercup Cake Shop
(I wonder what NY's "Buttercup Bake Shop" thinks of the name?)
This is a tiny cupcakery hidden a few blocks away from High Street Kensington. Lots of different/exotic flavours here (peanut butter and chocolate, cookies and cream, pumpkin) but my taste buds also found their cupcakes overly sweet...
Best for: flavor variety
Lola's cupcakes
At the moment they are a bake to order factory with plans of opening retail stores soon. You can buy their cupcakes at Selfridges Food Hall. I think their stuff tastes great (my favorite is the banana cupcake) but the frosting is a little too hard...
Best for: good flavor choice and sturdy packaging

Whichever one you pick, just make sure you walk home afterwards!
Further reading:
Sprinkles plans world domination
Everything you need to know about cupcakes around the world
Cupcaking at home

And while we wait for Sprinkles, the LA based designer cupcakery who pride themselves on baking the ultimate cupcake, to open in London as recently announced (see below article), we can find a mini cure for winter blues (any excuse!) at the following places:
Ottolenghi
Although they are not exclusively a cupcakery (far from it) I do think they bake it best. Ottolenghi cupcakes have a perfect texture frosting, are not too sweet or sickening and some times are even healthier* than the competition. My favorites are "maple syrup and oats*" and "raspberry vanilla".
Best for: yum factor
Hummingbird Bakery
Definitely the prettiest cupcakes in town. Though I do find their cakes overly sweet and usually end up scooping half the frosting out, I give them top marks for design and atmosphere.
Best for: meeting friends for a cuppa & cupcake
Buttercup Cake Shop
(I wonder what NY's "Buttercup Bake Shop" thinks of the name?)
This is a tiny cupcakery hidden a few blocks away from High Street Kensington. Lots of different/exotic flavours here (peanut butter and chocolate, cookies and cream, pumpkin) but my taste buds also found their cupcakes overly sweet...
Best for: flavor variety
Lola's cupcakes
At the moment they are a bake to order factory with plans of opening retail stores soon. You can buy their cupcakes at Selfridges Food Hall. I think their stuff tastes great (my favorite is the banana cupcake) but the frosting is a little too hard...
Best for: good flavor choice and sturdy packaging

Whichever one you pick, just make sure you walk home afterwards!
Further reading:
Sprinkles plans world domination
Everything you need to know about cupcakes around the world
Cupcaking at home




3 comments:
Maple syrup and oats? Nham!
Hey J
Now that you are broadening your cooking skills you should definitely try some of the recipes in that last link I posted. I think they have quite a few with oats...
I love baking and cupcakes are a family favourite. I am very partial to Apple, Oats, Cinnamon and Raisins, so any place that makes them is already on the top of my list. Also my mum has this recipe that gives the most marvellous cream cheese cupcakes with lemon glaze. Yummy! Will definitely try any of your recommendations when I am around Lundon-Town.
Post a Comment