BRMC bring Californian sun to London's Somerset House
Sometimes rock does perform miracles. Anyone living in England at the moment will complain to you of this year's consistently wet and dull summer and I was so certain the rain would wash Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's concert at Somerset House yesterday I even packed a poncho in my bag...
But, lo and behold, summer came to check out the Northern Californian trio (alternating leads Peter Hayes and Robert Been - aka Turner - plus drummer Nick Jago, looking very much like Jared Leto's non emo doppelgänger) perform at the open air venue:
But, lo and behold, summer came to check out the Northern Californian trio (alternating leads Peter Hayes and Robert Been - aka Turner - plus drummer Nick Jago, looking very much like Jared Leto's non emo doppelgänger) perform at the open air venue:
Photo: The Inner Courtyard at Somerset House yesterday evening,moments before Black Rebel Motorcycle Club took to the stage.
Even Robert Been seemed amazed with the clear blue evening, cheekily taking credit for it. And, indeed I do believe BRMC had a hand in this, after all, these guys have a song called "As Sure as the Sun". Rob also seemed puzzled by the palatial surroundings and asked us what we thought of the place. I felt inclined to answer "getting better by the minute with you guys rocking it"!
BRMC could not have been more different than Interpol's musical epiphany of 2 weeks ago, but I am not one who takes a good, satisfying gig for granted : 100% pure, no nonsense rock, rough around the edges, energetic and dishevelled like Peter's own hair. Lots of different instruments, from electric guitars and bass to acoustic guitars, piano, harmonica (present during the songs from Howl) and even a trumpet at some point!
Some highlights -
The a cappella finish to a perfectly executed cover of Bob Dylan's The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll is not stuff you see a garage rock band do everyday. I am happy to give Rob extra credit for that.
Most epic moment:
The Doors-like track American X from new album. I had the impression BRMC would jam us away into an eternal wall of sound with this one. They. Just. Kept. Going.
Most "touching" moment:
During crowd pleasing Spread Your Love, me and 2 guys literally grabbed a piece of Rob Been as he just threw himself at us – we were not sure whether to support him (because he just kept on playing as he did this) or wrap him up and take the guy home.
Some highlights -
The a cappella finish to a perfectly executed cover of Bob Dylan's The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll is not stuff you see a garage rock band do everyday. I am happy to give Rob extra credit for that.
Most epic moment:
The Doors-like track American X from new album. I had the impression BRMC would jam us away into an eternal wall of sound with this one. They. Just. Kept. Going.
Most "touching" moment:
During crowd pleasing Spread Your Love, me and 2 guys literally grabbed a piece of Rob Been as he just threw himself at us – we were not sure whether to support him (because he just kept on playing as he did this) or wrap him up and take the guy home.
After all, it's not often a rock god will land on you...

New track I'm playing on repeat at the moment - Not What You Wanted - yes it is that good:
PS: London's sky went back to its usual grey self today.


No comments:
Post a Comment