Find that elusive post!

Get a search box for blogger by technojuice.blogspot.com

Friday, February 2, 2007

The Canons of Costume Design

Picture source: The Costumer's Guide to Movie Costumes (truly worth visiting!)

When it comes to the Oscar season (yawn...) the things that usually keep me interested are what I call "the glamorous bits": the red carpet fashion wars and the lavish period productions à la Merchant Ivory, typically nominated in the cinematography, art direction, costume design and best actress categories. As it turns out, this genre has been almost excluded from the race this year.

Almost. At least the Academy remembered to put Marie Antoinette forward for a costume design prize. This is a small token (I do think this eye-candy-of-a-movie deserved to be nominated in a few more categories) but never mind, I will still be rooting: Kirsten Dunst as the ill-fated queen parades no less than 60 sublime costumes designed by Milena Canonero. Each more decadently chic than the other, they convey the excesses at Versailles but also have a seductive power: the dress with belt shown above stayed with me well after the movie screening due to its simple yet alluring contrast of textures and colours.

Canonero really deserves a win. Slight problem is that she will contend against the equally canonized Patricia Field who, having shot to fame with her legendary Sex and the City wardrobes, is now nominated for The Devil Wears Prada. A case of "may the best dressed win".

4 comments:

Roberto Pinho said...

hmmm, I doubt that it will be a case of "may the best dressed win"...

I guess that the hype will win over the tradition. After 6 nominations and two Oscars, people may be tired of your Canonero.

I was glad to find out that she was responsible for Barry Lyndon, which is, I believe, the most under hyped Kubrick.

La Nouvelle Heloise said...

Alas, I fear you may be right, after all, Patricia's accomplished work in The Devil Wears Prada gives the Academy a perfect opportunity to reward innovation.

I still want Canonero to get a 3rd win though... Barry Lyndon (agree, it's excellent!) was a long time ago and Chariots of Fire's costumes should not count!

Roberto Pinho said...

It seems that the best dressed won, after all :-)

La Nouvelle Heloise said...

Yaaay! Deservedly so methinks...